Thursday, July 1, 2010

Revelation or speculation

There are so many interpretations of world events as they pertain to the Book of Revelation and that of the prophetic writings. Some Evangelicals have made their entire ministry to the world the preaching, writing, and interpretation of the events in the world in which we live and then interpret the writings of Sacred Scripture to shed light on how the end of times will unfold. I bring this up because I heard yesterday how the gulf oil spill resembles one of the seven seals of revelation. (Truthfully, I was wondering when I would hear that this oil spill was linked to the end of the world and God's judgment.) I have heard hurricane Katrina, the Tsunami, any earthquake, and a host of any event being tied to God's judgment on humanity. I guess I find all of this kind of dangerous to be laying on God.

Are any or all of these events caused by God? Maybe, but I don't know that it's true and I certainly do not know if it's for the purpose of judging sinful humanity. It is a dangerous thing to offer God as a cause and then tell us why God had to do it. All of God's revelation is already in the Sacred Scripture and no more revelation is expected before Christ returns. Why do people insist on speculating as to the motive of God's purposes for anything that happens in the world? Certainly it is our faith that God is in control. If God does not cause, then God permits things to happen. Could God stop calamity...sure, but God set a world in motion and usually does not interfere.

Jesus clearly warns us in the Gospel that we are not to worry about the end of times. No one knows when Christ's return occurs. Jesus wants us busy with more important things like witnessing God's love to the world and to show that light to those in darkness. I don't believe we need to be judging and condemning the world when tragedy occurs and it certainly is counterproductive to engaging the world.

1 comment:

  1. I like this! I heard a priest once say that when tragedies like this occur, God is not in the cause, but He is in the cure. God is in the people who come to help, rescue and repair. God is in the heroes who feel compelled to do something.

    Nice blog! I look forward to visiting again!

    ReplyDelete