Thursday, September 30, 2010

Job moments

This week, the daily readings are taking us on a quick tour of the book of Job. It is a nice opportunity to reflect on how easy we have it as Americans in a way. Job always stayed loyal to God in his trials, but God still needed to break down his pride. Job wanted his friends to have some pity on him because he was not the cause of his own suffering. They were not buying his pity party, but God was using them to expose some character flaws in Job. Job knew God was the source of his blessings, but he wanted his friends to acknowledge that he was special also. Pride is a hard thing to give up, especially in this world. We want the praise and thanks of the world when we should only be caring about three persons opinions...that of the three persons of the Trinity.

It is so easy to feel sorry for ourselves at times. Last week at the parish was as busy a week for me since I have been here, and it was laced with some illness and aches. The temptation is to go "woes me" to everyone who asks. I did succumb to that temptation a few times, but I also took delight in leaning on God to keep me focused and give me the strength to continue. To give me the words that I needed to be of help to others. It was one of the more prayerful weeks and peace filled weeks I've had in a great while.

The Job moments in our lives help us to recapture that feeling of who my strength is and who it is that will deliver me from my anxious moments successfully. Is it God or will it be myself? To wake up tired, sick, and hurting with a confident prayer to God and knowing everything will turn out ok becasue God "has our backs" is a great way to go through life. Find that rest in God in the Job moments of your life. It is what faith is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment